Cortés Chocolate Chiffon Cake
Prep time: 90 minutes
½ cup Cortés Unsweetened Cocoa
2 tbsp instant coffee
¾ cup hot water
1 ¾ cups cake flour
1 ¾ cups sugar (divided in 2 portions)
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
½ cup vegetable oil
6 large eggs (separate the yolks from the whites)
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F.
- In a bowl, mix the Cortés Unsweetened Cocoa, coffee, and hot water. Let it cool.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, salt, one portion (half) of sugar, and baking soda.
- Add the vegetable oil, vanilla, and egg yolks. Mix until it becomes soft. Blend in the chocolate and coffee mixture.
- Place the egg whites in another bowl and mix at high speed until they become foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating at high speed, adding the other half of the sugar, until meringue peaks form. Depending on the mixer you use, this could take about 6 to 10 minutes. For this step, it is important that the bowl and mixer attachments be clean and dry.
- Fold the meringue mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the batter into a bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.