Chocolate Cream Filled Donuts
Prep time: 3 hours
- 2 tbsp yeast for baking
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 ¼ cups hot milk, almost to boiling point
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp fresh milk
- 1 tbsp Cortés Sugar-Free Cocoa
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 6 egg yolks
- 9 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- 1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
- 2 2/3 cups fresh milk
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 3 segments Cortés Chocolate, in pieces
- In a small bowl, add the yeast to the hot water and set it aside for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not stir or handle the mixture during this time.
- Pour the hot milk in a mixer bowl. After the 3 to 4 minutes have elapsed, add the yeast mixture. Add the sugar, salt, and butter. Mix well.
- Add the 4 cups of flour and mix well, occasionally scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the rest of the flour and mix it until everything is well combined. Place a tea towel (or cheesecloth) over the bowl and let the dough rest for 1 hour to allow it to rise.
- After one hour has passed, dust flour on a clean kitchen surface to work with the dough. Knead the dough. Use a rolling pin to stretch it out to ½-inch thick.
- Use a round donut cutter to shape the donuts. Do not cut the holes in the middle so you can fill them later on.
- Place them on a tray and cover them again with the tea towel or cheesecloth.
- Let them proof for 30 minutes. In the meantime, you can prepare the glaze and filling.
- Heat up the frying oil.
- Fry 1 or 2 donuts at a time for 1 to 2 minutes, until they turn golden.
- Remove them from the oil, place them on a paper towel-lined platter, and glaze them.
- After they cool down, use a piping bag to fill them with the chocolate cream.
- Sift the powdered sugar and Cortés Sugar-Free Cocoa.
- In a medium bowl, mix the melted butter with the sugar and chocolate mixture.
- Add milk to soften the mixture.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and cornstarch.
- In a pot, heat the milk, cream, and Cortés Chocolate until it starts to bubble (but not boiling).
- Pour about ½ cup of the milk and cream mixture into the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour this mixture into the pot with the rest of the cream and milk. Cook over low heat until it thickens.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap and let it cool for at least 1 hour.
- Once the filling and the donuts have cooled down, use a piping bag with a nozzle to fill the donuts.