Cortés Chocolate “Flancocho” (Flan Cake)
In Puerto Rico, flan + cake = “Flancocho”. But this is not just any “flancocho”: Cortés Chocolate will elevate any dessert.
Prep time: 2 hours
2 cups self-rising flour
1 ½ cup water
2 tbsp instant espresso coffee
4 segments Cortés Baking Chocolate Bar
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
¼ cup water
1 cream cheese
1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
- To make the caramel, heat up one cup of sugar and ¼ cup of water in a small pot over medium heat, stirring constantly until the caramel forms. Be careful. It will be very hot.
- Pour the caramel into a bundt pan.
- In a blender, mix the cream cheese, evaporated milk, condensed milk, vanilla, and eggs.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- To prepare the chocolate mixture, heat up 1-½ cup of water in a saucepan and dissolve the coffee in it. Add the 4 segments of Cortés Baking Bar and stir until they are dissolved.
- In a bowl, beat the sugar, butter, and vanilla until a light, creamy mixture forms.
- Add the flour and chocolate to the butter mixture, alternating between them. Start and finish with the flour mixture.
- Place the caramelized pan into another pan with water for a bain-marie.
- Strain the flan mixture into the caramelized pan.
- Pour the chocolate mixture on top of the flan mixture.
- Bake for one hour and fifteen minutes to one hour and a half. It will be ready when a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean.